Thursday, June 19, 2008

JCNY Model'Fest - Epilogue (For Now)

Wow! What a blast! One solid week of the runway at JCNY, planning outfits, practicing poses, smiling and greeting. I can honestly say that the other Showcase Models for the week made the time go by far quicker, as did the parade of friends who were kind enough to show up and offer support and, in some cases (you know who you are, LOL!) heckling. =)

So, what was the week like and what did I learn? Well, I learned a lot about posing - far more than studio work. I decided that I had two jobs during the week - being memorable and making the clothes look good. And I quickly discovered how important the right poses are to the second goal - the right pose makes a great outfit spectacular, the wrong pose and the best clothes in SL look downright odd. I admit that after the first day, I was at Animah buying pose packs and testing my poses with the outfits before hitting the runway - yes, it is harder than it looks and requires more preparation than I had thought.

The week is paid, but the real point is exposure and the opportunity to meet people involved in the fashion industry in SL. I chatted with so many people from all over the world in RL and with all sorts of interests in SL that it would be well worth the time even if not one of them had anything to do with fashion. That said, quite a few did and I thoroughly enjoyed talking and asking questions - both with the other models and the folks that came by.

The stars of the show, however, were the clothes. And the shoes, don't forget the shoes. The range of styles and designers was broad and some of the outfits were just amazing. As for me, I got to pull out some of my favorite outfits that don't get nearly enough wear. I tried to dress in clothes from a lot of different creators in a variety of styles, though formal wear was definitely in the majority as the JCNY jewelry went perfectly with my more... ahem... elaborate gowns.

Would I do it again? Absolutely. If you've ever wondered what the modeling thing is all about, polish your shoes, comb your hair and go take some pictures.

On the left (worn Saturday):
Dress - Red Rum Gown by Haute Style
Shoes - Bitch Booties (Black/Black) by Stiletto Moody
.
On the right (worn Monday):
Dress - Three Woodpeckers by Chambre du Chocolate
Shoes - Verve Pumps (Black) by Maitreya

No comments: