Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Inventory Tips - Clothing, Pt. 2

Obviously, clothing is a big deal to me and being able to find the right shoe or accessory is critical - especially when you are deep into shooting a photo series and realize that you need that one perfect thing to bring it all together. Now, if you haven't noticed, I'm a big folder renamer - I add colors and keywords to names all the time to make searching faster and to give better results. I also occasionally add notecards to folders (mainly for blogging purposes) with information like the colors, prices, LMs, pictures, designer information and such.

The clothing folders are in categories and this is probably something that everyone will have their own logic in setting up. The important thing is that you can find what you want when you need it. The majority of my clothes are simply organized by designer, but I have separate categories for shoes (of course), jewelry, belts and hats, lingerie, swimwear, tattoos (of course) and "specialty" (which is costumes, period pieces, wings, tails, ears and similar). I also have hair, but that's a post (and pictures!) for later. If I have more than one item by a designer in a category, I create a folder for the designer, drop the mainstore LM into that folder and then delete all the duplicate LMs I pick up along the way. This is easy to do, BTW, if you just search on a word or two in the name of the LM and then delete all the dupes other than the one in the designer folder.

Now, I love designers as much or more than anyone else in SL, but I'm just never going to think of searching for "bile" or "spring leaf" or "mint julep" when I'm looking for something green. Rename is your friend - add the color (like green) or the style (such as formal) or whatever makes it easier for you to find that edgy, postmodern, rusted, casual pair of stilettos that keeps sliding to the floor of the closet and hiding under the newbie skin that you keep for sentimental reasons. So get going, right click, rename and make your inventory searches more rewarding.

Next up in the inventory series will be "Stuff I Wear When Naked". :)
.
Top left:
Hair - The Poynter (Black) by Armidi
Dress - Lizz (Black) by LeeZu Baxter Designs
Shoes - Verve Heels (Black) by Maitreya
Earrings - Stone Doughnut (Labradorite/Black) by EarthStones

Bottom right:
Hair - Writer (Night) by Detour
Dress - Three Woodpeckers by Chambre du Chocolat

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I actually have a folder called "Skank Wear" in my inventory.

I haven't had occasion to wear it in so long.

Sigh.

Nice meeting you at Stiletto Moody today! (insert fangirl clapping)