Friday, August 15, 2008

Update - Contest Round-Up

Yesterday was filled with lots of contest notices, from the sublime to the absurd (no, I didn't win anything - though still in the running for some). A friend encouraged me to enter my first contest (the JCNY Model'Fest) back in June and had a blast (I got selected to be a Showcase Model), so I picked a few others here and there and entered to see what the contest thing was all about. I have to say it's been a mixed bag. I submitted entries for a variety of contest types - voting contests, panel selection contests, fashion specific and general photo contests.

The most annoying (and challenging) contests to prepare for are the in-world snapshot only. I did two of these and it took forever (and a stack of Lindens) to get the perfect shot. Of those, one sent me an IM that the contest had ended already (there was no date on the notecard) - but the store was great, so that all worked out. The other was the Dark Eden Girl contest - neither July nor August finalists have been announced for that one, so I don't know if it is suspended or not. We'll see - that one is a (free) popular vote contest between four finalists selected by panel and the picture concepts have been really great in past months.
.
I only entered one "Vote with Lindens" contest, which appeared to be plagued by SL issues. The location and rules changed several times and then the contest suddenly ended with different rules for the upcoming month. What I discovered from that is that I dislike harassing my friends (OK, so I sent a notecard) as much as I hate prom queen popularity contests.
.
In summary, the JCNY Model'Fest is run very well and very professionally - and can be a lot of fun. The only pure photo contest I did was for the Lucky Fortunes Contest and that was a blast - a concept shoot for a swami/fortune teller look. At the moment, I've got entries in for the JCNY August contest, the Dark Eden contest (assuming it resumes) and the Miss SL Universe contest and I'm pretty happy with those in that I had fun doing the pictures, I'm more comfortable with their voting/judging process and the rule cards were clear as to the requirements and entry information - and that, I've discovered, is rare.
.
Credits are going to be a bit different for this one. Since I've blogged many of the outfits and contests already, I'm going to link to those and only provide the ones not seen yet.
.
Top left (left to right):
Picture One - Entry for Miss SL Universe
Picture Two - JCNY Model'Fest Entry Aug '08
Dress - J. Pollock Dripping Colors by Lady Thera
Picture Three - Entry for Doll of the Month
Background - Miss SL Universe contestant wall
.
Middle right:
Dark Eden Girl Entry Aug '08
Hair - Sparkle (Black) by Detour
Skin - Tasha 04 Portrait (Cocoa) by Laqroki
Outfit -Oshun Mega Set (Midnight) by Dark Eden
.
Bottom left:
Foreground photo: JCNY Model'Fest Entry July '08
Dress - Quiet Voice by Baiastice
Shoes - Elegant Slingback (Black Dazzle) by Stiletto Moody
Jewelry - Precious Seas Earrings and Necklace by JCNY
Tasha 11 Portrait Skin (Tan) by Laqroki

No comments: